September 18-21, 2019 – AAPS 76th Annual Meeting – The Heart, Soul, and Survival of American Medicine
September 18 @ 7:00 pm - September 21 @ 12:00 pm
Stand with your colleagues, September 18-21, 2019 in scenic Redondo Beach, California, and be a part of the solution to save the heart and soul of American medicine.
Register for the Meeting: https://aaps.wufoo.com/forms/q1w8onju0bvanuf/
Partial Registrations: https://aaps.wufoo.com/forms/q1fb78jv0atbzgp/
Book your Hotel Room ($149/night cutoff 8/17): https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1544050048268&key=GRP&app=resvlink
AAPS 76th ANNUAL MEETING Preview (DRAFT+)
Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach, 3635 Fashion Way, Torrance, CA (10 miles from LAX)
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2019
8am–5pm – AAPS board meeting
7pm–9pm – President’s Welcome Reception
Thursday, SEPTEMBER 19, 2019
7am – Get Acquainted Breakfast
8am – Opening Ceremonies
- President’s Welcome Message–Marilyn M. Singleton, MD, JD
- Introduction of candidates, nominations, and resolutions, Introduction of students
The Legal Fight for the Heart and Soul of Medicine
Hospitals, health plans, medical boards, and others are increasingly on the attack. AAPS has your back and fights daily to protect the rights of physicians to offer personalized, excellent care.
- Andy Schlafly, JD, AAPS General Counsel
- Lawrence Huntoon, MD, PhD, Chairman AAPS Committee to Combat Sham Peer Review
- Katharine Van Tassel, JD, MPH
- Robert Emmons, MD, Psychiatry, Burlington, VT
Healing the Heart and Soul of Patients in Pain and the Physicians Who Care for Them
Pain patients and the doctors doing their best to take care of these individuals are too often innocent casualties in the war on opioids. This panel will explore whether more rational policies are on the horizon.
- Molly Rutherford, MD, DPC Addiction Treatment, Crestwood, KY
- Vanila M. Singh MD, MACM, Chief Medical Officer at U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health
LUNCHEON: Keith Smith, MD, co-founder Surgery Center of Oklahoma and Free Market Medical Association
Module III – Media Training Workshop
Crafting a Message that Resonates with Americans’ Heart and Soul
The mainstream media has proven it is no friend to medical freedom. Yet reaching the public with our message is more critical than ever. This workshop, led by media veterans, will explore winning tactics for reaching Americans and messaging strategies that will win the debate.
- Joel Strom, DDS, The Joseph Warren Institute
- Michael Emerson, Emerson Productions
- Jane L. Hughes, MD, American Doctors for Truth
Patient Video Testimonials for Communicating Directives for Life-Saving Care, Ferdinando L. Mirachi, DO, Institute on HealthCare Directives
Friday, SEPTEMBER 20, 2019
7am – Networking Breakfast
Exposing and Excising Racketeers Corrupting the Heart and Soul of American Medicine
Middlemen are pocketing record profits by interfering in, and driving up the cost of, patient care. Two panels will explore the extent of the problem along with what can be done to restore true market principles that encourage competition and reward value.
Panel I – Hospitals, Group Purchasing Organizations, and Pharmacy Benefits Managers
- Robert Campbell, MD, Physicians Against Drug Shortages
- LCDR Jim Thomas, MD, MBA, Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiologist
- David Balat, Texas Public Policy Foundation
- Craig M. Wax, DO, Practicing Physicians of America
Panel II – The Maintenance of Certification Cartel
- Paul Kempen, MD, PhD, AAPS Director
- Karen Sibert, MD, Past President, California Society of Anesthesiologists
- Ron Benbassat, MD, founder, ChangeBoardRecert.com
- Charles Kroll, Forensic Accountant
LUNCHEON: Sally Pipes, President & CEO Pacific Research Institute; Student Essay Contest Winner Announced
The Heart and Soul of the Patient-Physician Relationship, Professionalism, and Medical Ethics
The medical profession is a calling which in the past meant taking an oath to put patients first and do no harm. Physicians are now under increasing pressure to scrap these sacred vows and place the interest of society ahead of individual patients. What will be the result and what is needed for the profession to survive and return to a patient-focused ethic?
- L. Gray, MD, Author, The Battle for America’s Soul
- Robert Sewell, MD, Author, A Surgeon’s Heart
- Ingrid Skop, MD, Chairman-elect of the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Michel Accad, MD, A critical examination of population health.
7pm – 76th ANNUAL Banquet
- Shining Scalpel Award Presented to Marcy Zwelling, MD
- Keynote: Chris Jacobs, Author, The Case Against Single Payer, CEO Juniper Research. Previously Mr. Jacobs was a senior health policy analyst for the Texas Public Policy Foundation, a senior policy analyst in The Heritage Foundation’s Center for Health Policy Studies, and a senior policy analyst with the Joint Economic Committee’s Senate Republican staff. During the debate over the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, popularly known as Obamacare, Jacobs was a policy adviser for the House Republican Conference under then-Chairman Mike Pence. In the first two years of the law’s implementation, he was a health policy analyst for the Senate Republican Policy Committee.
Saturday, SEPTEMBER 21, 2019
7am – Until We Meet Again Breakfast
8am – Executive Director’s Message, Jane M. Orient, MD
Business meeting and elections
Innovations that Empower Physicians and Patients
As the government and insurers insinuate themselves into our medical practice, direct payment, and other financing tools for catastrophic needs have become the beacon of light on the horizon. What’s new and what’s next for solutions that cut out the middlemen?
Panel I – Resources and Reforms that Put Patients First
- Ralph Weber, Founder of MediBid
- Beverly Gossage, HSA Benefits Consulting
- Twila Brase, RN, Citizens’ Council for Health Freedom
Panel II-Physician-led Innovations that Put Patients First
- Tom LaGrelius, MD, American College of Private Physicians
- Josh Umbehr, MD, Atlas.MD
- Lee Gross, MD, Docs4PatientCare Foundation
- Keith Smith, MD, Surgery Center of Oklahoma and Free Market Medical Association
Incoming President’s Message–Kris Held, MD
Noon– Adjourn , 1pm–5pm – AAPS Board Meeting
* Accreditation Statement: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the New Mexico Medical Society (NMMS) through the joint providership of Rehoboth McKinley Christian Health Care Services (RMCHCS) and the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons. Rehoboth McKinley Christian Health Care Services is accredited by the New Mexico Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Credit Statement: RMCHCS designates this live activity for a maximum of 12.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. +THIS IS A DRAFT PROGRAM. SPEAKERS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.