You may want to tell your senators they really WILL be helping push grandma off the cliff if they vote for HR 2 when they return to DC after their Easter break!!!!
Just before congress left for Easter break, they voted in HR 2, helping put in place ObamaCare for senior citizens with the rest of the population (that means all of us) soon to follow. Unbelievably, this was a GOP lead house bill and passed 392 to 37! It generally seems as though both parties are eager to spend more of our money needlessly.
While the budget was being debated publicly, Boehner and Pelosi negotiated this bill, HR 2 privately. It is called the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA).
HR- 2 is a 256 page bill which was rammed through the House in 2 days. It repeals the 21 percent Medicare fee cut to physicians dictated by the Clinton-Gingrich “sustainable growth rate” (SGR). HR 2 replaced it with putting permanent ObamaCare dictates in place. This bill promises physicians guaranteed increased payments for ten years. How is that constitutional?
It was applauded by the usual suspects such as the AMA (to which about 15% of actual physicians belong); physicians are being told it will help boost their incomes. The AMA is not the voice of working physicians. The AMA speaks for itself. Despite the “pay raise it give physicians, thoughtful doctors would rather NOT have HR- 2 passed as it is harmful to patients and to the practice of medicine!
Regarding HR-2, to date, only one state medical society has stood up for patients and physicians and against the AMA, the Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY)!
Here’s what HR- 2 does:
- Adds half a trillion dollars to the national debt, unnecessarily
- Severely limits your choice of physicians
- Puts HHS (Health and Human Services), a HUGE federal bureaucracy, in charge of the practice of medicine, not you and your doctor
- Destroys your patients confidentiality by putting your patient records into central clinical data registries
- Increases your cost of Medicare significantly
- Puts the US. Secretary in charge to decide IF your medical doctor can actually practice medicine; this was always determined by the state in the past
- Stops payments to doctors for office visits. That will be a thing of the past. The government feels this will save money. Physician payments will be more tied to paperwork
- Opens the door to more federal forcing and coercion of your doctors to do meaningless paperwork for the government and take more and more insignificant government mandated tests of their knowledge. The federal government would be deciding if your doctor met certain criteria for “clinical practice improvement activities” and determine whether “professionals (your medical doctors) meet such criteria.” This is causing doctors to be unavailable to patients, cause a shortage and cause doctors to retire early
- Discourages doctors from interacting with you, the patient. For example it discourages doctor visits ( a cost savings). The bill encourages physicians to devote most of their energy to compliance activities that will get them a good report card (Composite Performance Score) from the federal government and so payment from the government. One example of this is when your doctor looks more at the computer screen than at you and at times actually seems more concerned about it than you, the patient
More Details (if you need them) – then, WHAT WE CAN DO:
HR- 2 takes 120 pages for the GOVERNMENT to explain how physicians will or will not get paid for seeing patients which is reason enough to get the government out of our exam rooms.
HR- 2, according to Dr. Held, a Texas ophthalmologist, threatens “to destroy the patient-physician relationship, the Oath of Hippocrates, and the practice of private medicine in the U.S.” Physicians cannot ethically practice under such a system.
President Obama is said to be eager to sign HR- 2 if it passes the senate. Jason Furman, the chief of the President’s Council of Economic Advisers, stated, “The SGR is going to offer us even more tools to expand the same types of new payment models that we put in place in the Affordable Care Act,”…”That’s why the president is looking forward to signing a good bill in this area.”
Here’s what we must do before Senate returns- A vote is scheduled for April 14:
CALL, email and VISIT your Senators, both Democrats and Republicans in their DC and local offices. Tell them to “Vote NO on MACRA, HR- 2. Let the SGR happen, or vote for a delay, as has been done 17 times already.
Ask if your Senator is planning a town hall during the April recess. Consider attending or visit your Senator’s local offices to present your message in person. Urge the Senators to vote the bill (HR 2) down!!!!
Click here for upcoming town hall meetings with lawmakers we are aware of. If you know or find out about one not on our list, please let us know (email [email protected]) and we will add it to the list.
The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) is a national organization representing physicians in all specialties, founded in 1943 to preserve private medicine and the patient-physician relationship. Non-Physicians may join as associate members for FREE and Medical students may join FREE of charge.