In criminal forensic psychiatry, things aren’t always what they seem. So, AAPS is pleased to invite you to the next installment of our Doctors Are In webinar series that will explore the twists and turns of this field, through a look at real world cases, including a case where our presenter went head-to-head with Trey Gowdy, the famous South Carolina prosecutor-turned-congressman-turned-TV-commentator.
Attendees are eligible to earn up to 1.5 hours of CME credit.*
Topic: Criminal Forensic Psychiatry: insanity and beyond
Presenter: Renée S. Kohanski, M.D.
Date/Time: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM EDT
Location: Online via Zoom
Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1Dhk5y74R7Sn3Vv1P8UT4g
- distinguishing between the concepts of Competency to Stand Trial (CST) and Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity (NGRI);
- the various burden of proof standards and occasions for use of an affirmative defense;
- differences between the M’Naghten Standard and Model Penal Code Standard for Insanity and the Guilty But Mentally Ill (GBMI) verdict; and,
- applying these concepts to a real world NGRI case.
Faculty Bio: Renée S. Kohanski, M.D. is a Board-Certified Psychiatrist with added fellowship training in Forensic Psychiatry and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology and a Diplomate of the National Board of Physicians and Surgeons (NBPAS). She received her undergraduate degree in chemistry with a minor in mathematics at Queens College of the City University of New York. She attended medical school at New York Medical College and received the Cor Et Manus award for service. Her internship and residency training were completed at Georgetown University Hospital Center where she served as Chief Resident at Georgetown Hospital. Additional post-graduate fellowship training in Forensic Psychiatry was completed at the University of South Carolina, William S. Hall Psychiatric Institute. In her capacity as a forensic psychiatrist, Dr. Kohanski has testified in many cases and been qualified as an expert witness. She was an Attending Physician at Georgia Regional Hospital Forensic Unit and Whiting Forensic Hospital in Connecticut. She has run treatment clinics for long-term prisons, short-term jails and the Department of Justice Juvenile Center in South Carolina. She has worked in specialized programs for patients suffering from dual diagnosed substance use disorders and emotional issues. Dr. Kohanski has been an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine, the Medical College of Georgia and the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. She has served as a Board Examiner for the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology participating in the Board Certification process for psychiatrists. Additionally, she had been appointed to the exam writing committee for Board Certification in Forensic Psychiatry and has served on the Editorial Advisory Board of MDEdge Psychiatry. TALKERS magazine describes Dr. Kohanski as “one of the most reliable ‘go-to’ sources for insights and information about psychiatry in the media today.” She created RK Psychiatry Associates, LLC (https://www.rkpsychiatry.com/ & https://rkdoctor.com/) in 2003 from her vision of whole patient wellness and easy accessibility to her patients. She operates as a solo practitioner model from this entity.
* CME ACCREDITATION STATEMENT This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS) through the joint providership of MNI Great Lakes ECHO, LLC (MGLE) and AAPS. MGLE is accredited by MSMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. MGLE designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.