Expand search form

A Voice for Private Physicians Since 1943

AAPS Statement on Betadine as COVID Preventive

In early October 2021, Americans, whether vaccinated or not, continue to be diagnosed with COVID-19.

The use of a common disinfectant, povidone-iodine (PVP-I or Betadine™) has been suggested as a preventive measure, and seven studies have shown efficacy in early treatment or pre-exposure prophylaxis.

For example, Bidra et al. showed rapid inactivation of SARS-CoV-2 when povidine-iodine (PVP-I) was used as an oral rinse. Frank et al. showed that dilute PVP-I can be safely used as an oral rinse or nasal spray. Guenezan et al. showed reduced viral load in a randomized controlled trial. Choudhury et al. used Betadine as acute therapy for incipient COVID-19 in a randomized controlled trial that showed significantly lower death and hospitalization rate.

However, MedPageToday warned: “Some people are drinking or gargling povidone iodine (Betadine™) to treat COVID-19, causing experts to warn that ingesting the antiseptic is toxic, not helpful in fighting SARS-CoV-2, and may lead to iodine poisoning and kidney failure.” A program on Fox News featured a physician stating that “those who do ingest more than just a small amount should call a Poison Control Center immediately.”

AAPS makes the following observations:

  • Use of dilute PVP-I as directed is very safe.[*] Of course, it is not a “cure” for COVID-19, simply safer, more effective, and much cheaper than government-recommended late-stage remedies such as remdesivir.
  • Products meant for local application, disinfecting surfaces, cleaning aquaria, etc., should never be eaten or drunk.
  • Vaccines are failing and are associated with record numbers of severe adverse reactions including heart failure and death. Physicians have a responsibility to provide accurate information about measures for prevention or early treatment of this illness, as they do for all other illnesses.
  • Patients should consult with a physician for questions and share this information.

[*] An average size adult would have to drink several quarts to cause immediate serious harm. According to the manufacturer’s Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), the LD50 is about 8 g/kg. Chronic ingestion (drinking) of small doses over weeks can cause thyroid problems.

Previous Article

Covid Coincidence

Next Article

COVID-19: Are You Immune and Safe?